Friday, January 28, 2011

Whole Wheat Apple Cinnamon Pancakes

whole wheat apple pancakes

I don’t know why, but Gary is obsessed with pancakes. He said he used to eat it all the time when he was younger. If it were up to him, pancakes he would have pancakes everyday for breakfast. Since he doesn’t make it himself, he gets it when I’m in the mood to make them Winking smile.

I came up with the idea for apple cinnamon pancakes. I doubt I’m the first one to think this up, but it sounded good to me. I searched, but didn’t really find what I wanted online. I went to my cookbooks, and found this recipe for buttermilk pancakes with optional add-ins and leveraged the recipe from there.

I did use the book’s adaptations for whole wheat flour. I also made this dairy free by using the soy milk vinegar mix for sour milk. I also added a teaspoon of cinnamon, because I think it goes great with apples.

I expected the pancakes to be a little sweeter than normal because of the apples, but I didn’t find it sweet at all. It had a hint of apple flavor, so it wasn’t too prominent. The whole wheat makes it very filling, and I felt full for a while afterwards. It’s also pretty healthy since it comes out to less than 100 calories per pancake. Although it wasn’t quite as expected, it still came out nicely. I will use this again as a good base for other flavors in the future.

Whole Wheat Apple Cinnamon Pancakes
adapted from: Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook 14th Limited Edition

  printable recipe


ingredients:
1 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
2 TBSP packed brown sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 1/2 TBSP vinegar plus enough soy milk to equal 1 1/2 cup total (or 1 1/2 cup buttermilk)
3 TBSP canola oil
1 medium apple, peeled and grated (I used gala)

directions:
In a measuring cup combine vinegar and soy milk. Let sit for 5 minutes (skip this step if using buttermilk).

In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Whisk to combine.

In another bowl, whisk together the soy milk mixture, egg and oil. Add to the flour, and stir until just combined.

Grate apple and add to the batter. Stir well to combine.

Using a ladle, pour 1/4 cup batter onto a hot griddle. Cook until surface has completely bubbled, then flip and cook for another 3-5 minutes. Transfer to a plate and cover to keep warm. Repeat with remaining batter.

Serve with maple syrup.

Makes about 12 pancakes.

5 comments :

  1. "Looks great! I'd love it if you checked out my blog..."

    Sorry, I couldn't resist ;)

    And I only make pancakes from a mix so I'm super lame, but I love love LOVE your plates!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. girl, great minds think alike :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, these look good! We have some time off this weekend...I think its a perfect time to make some breakfast!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your comments! Please post below!