Monday, January 2, 2012

Tofu and Broccoli with Peanut Sauce



Happy New Year!

Here's to a new year, and a new you! I don't really make resolutions, but if I had to make one, it would be to eat healthier, less meat, and more whole foods. I've already started doing that, but I will continue to do so this year.

One of the things I've started reading up on and cooking is vegan meals. We've had a few good recipes for breakfast that are vegan, but we don't really have many vegan dinners. This meal was great because not only was it vegan, it was tasty and filling as well!

I made the mistake of using a stainless steel pan for this. I guess I missed the part about using nonstick! The tofu stuck a little and the sauce burned off a little. Next time I make this, I will definitely use a nonstick pan.


Tofu and Broccoli with Peanut Sauce
recipe by cathy's kitchen journey
adapted from Vegan Yum Yum, as seen on Made Just Right





ingredients:
  • 1 block extra firm tofu, pressed, cut into small squares
  • 1 TBSP canola or peanut oil
  • 2 tsp soy sauce
  • 2 tsp mirin
peanut dressing:
  • 1/4 cup peanut butter
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1 TBSP sugar
  • 1 TBSP soy sauce
  • 1 TBSP seasoned rice vinegar
  • 1 tsp hot chili oil (I omitted)
  • pinch of salt
for serving:
  • steamed broccoli
  • 1 grated carrot
  • cooked rice
  • crushed peanuts (optional)

directions:
  1. Whisk sauce ingredients in a small bowl until smooth (be patient, it’ll look curdle at first then smooth out) and set aside.
  2. Fry tofu in the oil over high heat in a non-stick skillet until browned on both sides. Drain and return to hot pan (turn off the heat). Mix soy sauce and mirin together and pour over tofu, mixing well. It will bubble up and form a light glaze.
  3. Plate rice, add broccoli, tofu, carrot, and crushed peanuts. Drizzle with sauce and serve.
Yield: 2 servings



Pin It

1 comment :

I love to hear your comments! Please post below!